Thursday, February 10, 2011

The $50 Foodie Challenge - Day 1

Here we go again, running low on resources.

The $50 Foodie Challenge was born out of necessity: I want to pay my rent & internet on time, I'm getting paid for my part-time job 14 days, so this is how much I have to make it on during the next 3 weeks.

I definitely feel there are some skills and tricks to be learned here regarding responsible consumption and general survivalism.

Usually, when I don't pay attention to what and for how much I eat, it's hard to keep it below like... $10 a day? I mean that's already frugal, given that most dishes in most restaurants in Montréal would be around that price. $10 used to cover a few coffees at school and some lunch, maybe a small snack in the evening, but that's pushing it. No beers, nothing extra.

$50 for 21 days, that's like $2,50 per day... I got my transport and smokes covered, so it comes down pretty much to food - one human, one feline -, other domestic essentials. I probably won't have to worry about much social activity: costly entertainment is due to be skipped at this time.

Luckily, at the start of my challenge I have some stocks - and I also the enthusiasm to make this work.

Start-up pantry: coffee, sugar, vegetable oil, 1 carrot, 11 onions, 1 portion pasta, a bag less two cups of rice, a can of black beans, a can of green peas., a can of chick peas, a pack of couscous, 2 slices of bread. Flour, breadcrumbs, cream of wheat, salt, some teriyaki sauce, milk. 4 chicken wieners, 600g of ground beef, 1 kg of chicken breast.

On the kitty's plate, around one week worth of food and litter. Unlike his roommates, he still refuses to go to the loo in the snow.

Ugh, my roomie just donated me 4 pork sausages - stuff I would never buy, but will gladly eat when starving.

Suddenly, that sounds a lot.

Tonight's dish - have had 2 coffees up to this point today at 6pm - will consume 300g of the beef, 2 onions, the carrot, the pasta and some mustard.




2 onions, one carrot


cca 600 g of ground beef


half of the meat with some chili and BBQ spices



onions and carrot sautéed before meat is added


pasta à la no fuss

meat is cooked, la bouffe est prête


half of it is a filling meal


Tomorrow's grocery shopping should include more pasta, some eggs, perhaps lentils and some fruits. Oh, TP for my bumhole as well.

Duct tape and crazy glue for fixing broken stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Midnight Munchies are a problem. Found some mango chutney to snack on. What do you eat that with, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mango chutney = rice cakes or fruit. I also thought about Jello (though I eat KoJel, since it is vegetarian-friendly). Jello is cheap, and all you need is water.

    Snack on nuts and seeds. :-)

    ReplyDelete