Friday, February 11, 2011

The $50 Foodie Challenge - Day 2

It seems that the Challenge makes me think about food more than usual.
Which makes me more hungry.
The Challenge itself makes the Challenge harder.
This is not good.

Can't postpone the grocery shopping any more, gotta face the facts and needs. Will have to remind myself to exercise control over my desires. Based on past experiences, doing the shopping while hungry can have a devastating effect on the decision-making and thus the wallet.

Focus is on the must-haves (really can't go without toilet paper) and the value foods. The criteria appears to be more weight for less money, and that's where ingredients like lentils and pasta come into play: they inflate when cooked :)

UPDATE: shocking news make me want to throw up. Not hungry anymore, but in a hell of a mood to go out or do anything at all.

***

This day turned out horrible.
I've been walking around in a daze, trying to make sense of the senseless, trying to deal with a loss I wasn't prepared for. I'm smoking my last joint as I type, still not knowing how I will sleep tonight, tormented by pain.

***

As I approached Maxi, there was a McDo on the corner and I remembered how much of a life-saver it proved more than once. When you have just 2 bucks on your bank account that you have no way of accessing, you can still have a dirty hamburger and feel guilty as hell after.





At Maxi, the price hunt starts.
Groceries are all about math.



I hunted down the cheapest from everything on my list - but made the mistake of failing to add it up.

The cashier made me realize I just blew half of my budget...

My most expensive item is the chou vert @ $3.02. Very tricky buy, as this was one of the cheapest veggies to be found, but mine is 1,75 kg. I don't even know what I'm gonna do with it, but it seemed like a good deal. Also, it bumped up the total :( Impulse purchase combined with bad maths.

Putting it on eBay for $2.75.

Second is the toilet papers for $2.99, i.e. 25 cents per roll. The enviro-TP comes at 48 cents a piece, while the most expensive brands is 87 cents. That's what forest destruction costs us...

On the way home, I had to eat two chocolate chip cookies (on 50% special, at 42.7 cents per 100g, 7,14 cents a piece), which felt appropriate for the sadness and were also my first bites of solid food today.

I'm afraid I'm in no fucking mood to cook today, I don't even want to be awake. Likely to go through all the cookies, just because they are sweet and require no work. If I strain myself, I might have those two slices of raisin bread with unhealthy, processed margarine and and cruelly obtained liver pàté.

Fuck death.

No comments:

Post a Comment